Just the BEST 1940s novelty print--cats! This 1940s rayon dress and jacket set features blue, green and salmon pink kitties, along with fishbowls. The bright colors really pop against the black background. The rayon fabric is lightweight, with just a hint of crepe texture, more visible on the back than on the front side of the fabric. The cap-sleeved dress has small shoulder pads, gathers on each side of the curved neckline, and darts to shape the bust area. Below the waist seam, the sarong-style skirt overlaps in front, with a left side drape at the hip. A loop of boning in the top section of the draped fabric helps it to keep its shape. The dress is unlined (except for the double layer of fabric at the skirt front) and fastens with a metal zipper in its side seam. The matching waist-length jacket has curved lapels, cuffed three-quarter-length sleeves, and no shoulder pads. It fastens in front with 4 covered buttons, and is also unlined. In good, wearable condition, the dress and jacket each have issues to note, as shown in my photos:
- The jacket looks great, except for one small spot on the right lapel.
- The dress bodice has a small tear at the center front, about ½” by ¼”, and a pinhole at the left bust.
- There is some wear to edge of the fabric at the right sleeve opening of the dress.
- The dress skirt has a hard-to-see watermark on the under-layer at the lower front. This is hidden when worn by the front panel, where it overlaps.
- There are also 6-7 pinholes in the same area, on the skirt under-layer.
There is quite a bit of extra fabric inside the jacket, (sides of the button placket/interfacing) which might be used to repair the hole in the bodice. Since the issues with the skirt are hidden by the overlapping sarong-style, you could tack that outer layer down, to hide them completely. The dress and jacket have been recently dry-cleaned and are ready to wear. If you are a fan of 1940s novelty print fabrics, especially of cat novelty prints, this is a fun find to add to your collection!
SIZE: XS petite
Bust: 36” flat, to fit best for approx. 34”
Waist: 26.5” flat to fit approx. 25.5”
Hip: 37” flat, to fit approx. 34”
Length: 40.5” from shoulder to hem in front
Back of neck to waist: 15.25”
Waist to hem: 25”
Back of neck to hem: 15.5”
Underarm to hem: 7”
Shoulder to shoulder: 14”
LABEL: Sized-To-Height Originated by Murray White Boston